2001 International Game Warden magazine
Contributor Specifications for Photos or Illustrations
IGW welcomes all contributions. The following will provide some tips for submission, help us improve the editing and publishing processes and ensure the highest accuracy and quality of content.
Acceptable Mechanical Media
– 35 mm color slide
– 56 mm color slide
– Color or black/white prints. (one-use camera quality is ok. Please process first.)
– We prefer to scan images ourselves.
Unacceptable Mechanical Media
– Photographic negatives
– Passport photos
– Paper prints from digital printers (Epson LaserJet, HP)
– Pictures from previously published material (newspapers, magazines, etc.) with some exceptions. See reprinted materials above.
Images from digital cameras can be accepted if they are a high enough resolution at final print size.
– Required resolution for conventional printing is 300 ppi (pixels per inch). Most digital cameras produce pictures with 72 ppi, by default, which is unacceptable.
– Set your digital camera to take the highest resolution possible. More is better: “everything you’ve got” is best!
– As a point of reference, for a photo to be printed 8 X 10″, you’d want at least 1000 X 1500 pixels.
– Images can be submitted as RGB files, we will convert to CMYK during production. Use the following formats when sending images online or on disk: TIFF, JPEG, or EPS.
Other Digital Images
– Halftone (photographic images) must be supplied at 300 ppi at final printed size.
– Bitmap line art (black and white) must be supplied at a minimum of 600 ppi at final printed size.
– Vector-based artwork (logos drawn in Adobe Illustrator, CorelDraw, etc.) should either have all text converted to paths, or be supplied with all fonts used in the document. These should be supplied as application files, or as EPS (encapsulated postscript) files with fonts embedded.
– Files of this type supplied in non-standard colors (RGB – red:green:blue, etc.) will have to be converted, resulting in a possible change in colors. To prevent this, please supply any artwork in CMYK color space.
Combined Files: Text + Images
Please do not embed images in Microsoft Word documents.
– Our supported design programs are QuarkXPress, FreeHand, Illustrator.
– We accept Photoshop files for your images, but we strongly advise that you do not prepare your entire layout in Photoshop as the resolution that is ideal for photographs will cause your type to appear somewhat jagged.
– Files prepared in PageMager, CorelDraw or Microsoft Word must be saved as either, hi-resolution PDF files, with all fonts embedded, or as eps files with all fonts embedded.
– We prefer Macintosh files supplied on Zip (100 MB and 250 MB) or Jaz cartridges, CD-R, or 3.5″ floppy disk. Mac files can be compressed using StuffIt. You can obtain Stuffit from www.aladdinsys.com
– PC files can be compressed using WinZIP. You can download a free trial version of WinZIP from www.winzip.com